Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Hemingway Said It Best

 
 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
~ Ernest Hemingway
 
 
 
 
It's the truest thing anyone's ever said about writing. Writing forces you to expose a part of yourself that others may never know exist or hope to see. You literally pour out of your spirit the thoughts and dreams and inner workings of a mind so active that most people would stagger under the weight of it.
 
Sometimes writing is easy.
 
 
And sometimes.....
Yeah,...this is so me right now.

I feel like I'm just banging my head against the keyboard. 

     Repeatedly.

          ...and with force.



I've reached the point in my current story where I have to figure out how black the heroine's "Black Moment" should be and I'm not necessarily frustrated; but indecisive. I honestly can't figure out what should happen next. This my friends is the danger of being a Pantser and waiting for inspiration to dance off the tips of your fingers like rain off leaves during a storm. Or in my case, turning on the tap and waiting for the sound of water running to trigger....

Anyway....

There's a very good chance that I might find myself writing out each variant of what could happen next just to see what has the biggest impact on the scene and move forward. It won't be fast. It won't be easy. But, if I do it right, I'll be happier in the end.

So, I guess I don't have to tell you that I'll continue to open that vein and bleed.

Now to find that scalpel....

No comments:

Post a Comment